The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Coveting...Vaporware

I miss obsessing! I used to enjoy coveting things which had been around for a long time but were expensive; now, virtually everything I covet doesn't even exist, but is prospective, planned to be released in the future.

This would include the Intel Macintoshes (rumor has it that the Intel Mac Mini will be here in January) and especially the coming "super-printers" from HP. The HP 8450 on HP's dedicated "Premium Plus" paper is just a wonderful device for slooooow letter-sized printing, but HP is wrapping up a $1.5 billion R&D push. Its new photo printers, due in 2006, have a recirculating ink system for zero ink loss and lay down many times as much ink in a single pass, which will make them far and away the fastest inkjet printers around. We're talking a top-quality 8x10 in under 10 seconds.

And as for cameras, K-M's Anti-Shake in the body is such a wonderful feature that its absence pretty much rules out any camera that doesn't have it. With every new Wunderkamera that comes around, from the Sony R-1 to the Nikon D200, I find myself thinking, "If only it had anti-shake...."

The only "old" thing I covet any more is a big CRT monitor. I still find them superior to LCD monitors for photographic work. Despite the fact that LaCie no longer even makes them....

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

8 Comments:

Blogger elrohil said...

Dear Mike,

As a fellow Wisconsinite, a student of politics, and a keen amature photographer, I'm really happy to see the beginnings of this blog. I've missed Sunday Morning Photographer, and its good to see more of your writings.

Best,

Ben

9:26 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Mike,

Check out the list of CRTs recommended in the article - http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc033.html.

Lacie and the Artisan may no longer be available, but the others are.

SMP is missed, as well. Best of success.

10:30 AM  
Blogger John B said...

Mike, I too, missed the Sunday Morning Photographer. I KNEW you couldn't stay away for very long so welcome back.
Warmest regards,
John

12:46 PM  
Blogger Hugo Angel said...

Mike,
I've been reading with interest and smpathy the Sunday Morning Photographer as well as the Quotidian Meander. I put a link to the latter in my recently started blog vitaalpina.blogspot.com

Hubert

1:57 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Hey you guys,
Thanks, sincerely, for the nice comments. I appreciate the good thoughts. And thanks, Joe, for the link to the CRT evaluation site.

Mike

9:09 AM  
Blogger JeffH said...

Mike,

I was a fan of you Sunday Morning Photographer column, which I discovered a while back through Michael Reichmann's site. I've missed it and am glad to see your writings back in blog form. I think it is great that we can now participate/talk back to some of your very interesting and often thought provoking articles.

Regards,
Jeff H.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Mike,

Glad to see you back writing about Photography and not politics. (I do like the Quotidian Meander don't get me wrong), but your photography blog hits the mark, which I missed after SMP bit the dust.
Regards
Dave

9:03 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Mike,

Glad to see you back writing about Photography and not politics. (I do like the Quotidian Meander don't get me wrong), but your photography blog hits the mark, which I missed after SMP bit the dust.
Regards
Dave

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home